Small tent with standing room and a porch
James Harris
2015-08-03 09:47:38 UTC
I am looking for a tent which

* allows a 6-foot (182cm) person to stand up in
* has a "porch", i.e. somewhere covered to take off wet shoes etc
* is not expensive
* is for one person (me)
* has a small footprint
* is fairly lightweight as it and other things have to fit in a 15kg
ferry allowance

Is there such a thing? Any suggestions for a close match? Most that I
have seen with the desired interior height are overly large and heavy
and for families. I understand that a tent cannot have walls which are
too near vertical or they will be stressed by strong breezes but there
might be something better than those below.

I thought a conical teepee-type might be OK if a porch could be added
but I don't much like the look of them!

The following one looks good height-wise with a H195 living space (which
I presume means interior height of 195cm or about 4 inches over 6-foot)
but it is rather large and heavy and is for up to six people rather than
just one.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3093117.htm

The following one looks good in principle shape-wise but seems to be
intended to attach to a full tent.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/gelert-end-porch-789248?colcode=78924818

Any suggestions for something better?

James
gregz
2015-08-06 06:49:55 UTC
Post by James Harris
[...]
I have a couple steep walled tents. No porch flap. On the large one I just
made my own top piece extending out for rain.

Greg
James Harris
2015-08-23 09:21:24 UTC
Post by gregz
I have a couple steep walled tents. No porch flap. On the large one I just
made my own top piece extending out for rain.
In the end I went for a Trespass Go Further 2 Man Tent, weight about
10kg. Like yours it doesn't have a porch. I might be able to add
something over the front guy cords for another time.

One slight surprise; although it was advertised as a Trespass tent the
actual one I received was a Regatta. The model is a Regatta Premium
909/9823(D) 2-man weekend tent.

I would have guessed that Trespass and Regatta were company names and
separate companies but perhaps not. Or perhaps they both resell the same
Chinese-made tent under different names.

James
Whiskers
2015-08-25 14:52:59 UTC
Post by James Harris
Post by gregz
I have a couple steep walled tents. No porch flap. On the large one I
just made my own top piece extending out for rain.
In the end I went for a Trespass Go Further 2 Man Tent, weight about
10kg. Like yours it doesn't have a porch. I might be able to add
something over the front guy cords for another time.
One slight surprise; although it was advertised as a Trespass tent the
actual one I received was a Regatta. The model is a Regatta Premium
909/9823(D) 2-man weekend tent.
I would have guessed that Trespass and Regatta were company names and
separate companies but perhaps not. Or perhaps they both resell the
same Chinese-made tent under different names.
James
One tent-maker to make them all ...

Just for the record, would you use it again? Would you buy another the
same?
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
James Harris
2015-08-25 19:00:06 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by James Harris
In the end I went for a Trespass Go Further 2 Man Tent, weight about
10kg. Like yours it doesn't have a porch. I might be able to add
something over the front guy cords for another time.
One slight surprise; although it was advertised as a Trespass tent the
actual one I received was a Regatta. The model is a Regatta Premium
909/9823(D) 2-man weekend tent.
I would have guessed that Trespass and Regatta were company names and
separate companies but perhaps not. Or perhaps they both resell the
same Chinese-made tent under different names.
One tent-maker to make them all ...
... and in the darkness bind them!
Post by Whiskers
Just for the record, would you use it again? Would you buy another the
same?
I would certainly use the tent again, especially if again going away via
transport which had a similar luggage weight restriction. For that, it
was ideal and the unusual height to footprint elicited some interest
from other campers. If travel weight was not as restricted, however,
such as going by car I would prefer to buy a slightly larger tent with
another standing-height chamber (this one has two rooms: bedroom with
room for a double bed and one other room slightly smaller) and some
porch space to leave wet shoes in.

HTH
James